Erkki Liikanen to chair the foundation for Lahti’s European Green Capital year
Former EU Commissioner Erkki Liikanen was elected Chairperson of the Board, and Laura Leppänen, Region Mayor at Regional Council of Päijät-Häme, was elected Vice Chairperson.
The Sustainable Lahti foundation is established to implement the LAHTI – European Green Capital 2021 (EGC) year until 31 December 2025. The foundation is responsible for the planning, operation and finances of the project and brings together the key partners of the EGC year. Officially the foundation will begin its operations once the Finnish Patent and Registration Office has entered it in the register of foundations.
The organisation meeting on 5 March elected nine members to the foundation’s Board. These are:
- Erkki Liikanen, former Governor of the Bank of Finland and former EU Commissioner, (Chairperson)
- Laura Leppänen, Region Mayor at Regional Council of Päijät-Häme, City of Lahti (Vice Chairperson)
- Simo Santapukki, Managing Director, City of Lahti
- Pekka Komu, City Board member, City of Lahti
- Jussi Eerikäinen, Managing Director, Häme Chamber of Commerce
- Rinna Ikola-Norrbacka, Mayor, Municipality of Asikkala
- Mari Pantsar, Director in charge of carbon-neutral circular economy, Sitra, Finnish Innovation Fund
- Hannele Pokka, Permanent Secretary, Finnish Ministry of the Environment
- José Valanta, Director of Customer Relations, Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities
The three deputy members of the Board are:
- Jari Parkkonen, Mayor, City of Heinola
- Representative of the Municipality of Hollola
- Osmo Pieski, Mayor, City of Orimattila
The Board of Directors is responsible for, among other things, managing the foundation’s affairs, assets and operations, representing the foundation, and deciding on the operating principles. The term of office of the first Board lasts two years, ending on 1 April 2022. Those invited to the Board meetings with a right to speak and be present are the Board deputy members, the Mayor of Lahti, the Managing Director of the foundation, the Board Secretary, and expert members as necessary.
Milla Bruneau, head of the EGC project, was appointed Managing Director of the Sustainable Lahti foundation. The City of Lahti participates in the foundation with an initial share capital investment of EUR 60,000, the Häme Chamber of Commerce with EUR 20,000, and the City of Heinola, the Municipality of Hollola, the City of Orimattila and the Municipality of Asikkala with EUR 10,000 each.
LAHTI – European Green Capital 2021
Lahti is the European Green Capital in 2021 as the fist Finnish city to win the title. Every year, the European Commission awards the title of European Green Capital to one European city for merits in pioneering environmental actions, developing innovative solutions to environmental challenges, and setting an example for other cities.
The City of Lahti is working on a comprehensive regional and international programme featuring events and ambitious cooperation projects for its European Green Capital year. A large part of the programme consists of events, activities and projects organised by partners.
Milla Bruneau, Project Manager, European Green Capital 2021, tel. +358 400 408 951
You can contact Erkki Liikanen, Chairperson of the Board of the Sustainable Lahti foundation, through Saara Piispanen, Communications Manager, European Green Capital 2021, tel. +358 44 416 4680